Hear ye, hear ye,
Here is your
SHERWOOD FOREST CRIER
April 1, 2020
Message from the SFNA
These are strange days indeed. We are all adjusting to the new normal and wrestling with the confounding questions that are only going to be answered in the coming days and months. The refrain has lately oft been repeated that "We are all in this together
" but at the same time we are required to be "Apart
" - this dichotomy is challenging and awkward and seems even more pronounced in our neighborhood. As we seek out footing perhaps an older quote will serve us well: "Love your Neighbor as yourself
As we stay at home and protect ourselves we are simultaneously protecting our neighbor, but I think that we can do even more while practicing the best of preventive social distancing, we can actively take care of our neighbor
. May this be a time of growth of some true community right here in Sherwood Forest. The following list is a beginning of how we can all do better as neighbors — because we are all in this together. Right?
COVID19 Teddy Bear Hunt
- Get out and check on neighbors (while practicing social distancing)
- If someone needs help or can give help get the word out via social media
- Walk around the neighborhood, say hi to your neighbors and let them know how to contact you if they need help
- Let the elderly know if you are willing to shop for them
- Implement a true ‘neighborhood watch’ where we watch out for each other
- If you have extra sanitary masks, please let us know so we can get them to medical professionals who are running short of masks
In some neighborhoods, residents are putting up teddy bears
(or any kind of stuffed animal) in windows of their homes. When you are out walking, make it a scavenger hunt with your children to find the stuffed animals!
For local information:
City of Columbia website
Richland County Coronavirus (COVID-19) Info
SCDHEC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Centers for Disease Control information:
Stay Home, Stay Safe Ordinance
Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin and City Council has passed a Stay Home, Stay Safe Ordinance
effective 12:01 a.m. Sunday, March 29, 2020.
The essentials are:
- Stay in your home and don't travel through or congregate in public spaces in the City of Columbia except for working at Essential Services businesses.
- If you are working at or conducting business with any Essential Service business provider, practice social distancing of at least six feet.
- Social gatherings of three (3) or more people, for any reason other than working at or receiving Essential Services, is prohibited.
- Places and vendors conducting Essential Service operations should take all reasonable measures, including limiting the number of individuals in their businesses, to facilitate and ensure social distancing of at least six feet.
- Bars and restaurants can only offer pickup, take out or delivery services for consumption off premises.
- Limit outdoor recreational activities to those that allow for social distancing of at least six feet, and don't involve coming into close contact with other people or the sharing of equipment.
- Any violation is a misdemeanor.
To view the full Ordinance, please visit ORDINANCE NO.: 2020-034
City of Columbia Solid Waste
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Solid Waste Division is asking all residents to ensure all household garbage is bagged and containerized
and all recyclables are containerized
in the appropriate City-issued roll carts. Only household garbage and recycling that is containerized in the roll carts will be collected. Bags and boxes of garbage and recycling outside of the roll cart will not be collected
Please double bag any garbage that may be infectious
if there is someone sick in a household. Recycling should remain loose and plastic bags should not be used or placed in the blue roll cart.
DO NOT FLUSH disinfecting wipes
, paper towels or napkins. Only toilet paper should be flushed. Other items can cause sewer blockages
in your home or further along in the system.
Sign up for the City's Waste Wizard
which allows you to enter a street address and see the schedule at that location, and will also show pick up dates that are rescheduled due to a holiday or other special circumstance.
USC Belser Arboretum Open House
Sunday, April 15, 1-4pm
Open Houses are cancelled until further notice.
Contact Gail Wojtowicz
at 618 402-8736
or by email
or see USC's Department of Biological Sciences W. Gordon Belser Arboretum web page
. Find event info and sign up for the newsletter on Facebook
SFNA General Meeting
Tuesday, May 12, 6:30pm-8pm
This general meeting is cancelled.
We are making an effort to send out these informational emails around the first of every month to keep neighbors up do date on neighborhood events
, and other events and information of interest
. It's cheaper and better for the environment not to print and pass out fliers! But we could all probably use the exercise!
If you have information of interest to the neighborhood, please pass it along and we may include it in a future Crier.
Tell your friends and neighbors to subscribe. No membership required, but of course we would like everybody to join! New neighbor? Let us know and we'll send out the welcome wagon.
To subscribe, email email@example.com
or subscribe online
Join the Sherwood Forest Neighborhood Association
Become a member or renew your membership now for 2020!
Dues are only $20 and are due in January. Pay your dues now online. Or pay at the next general meeting or mail a check to Henry Nechemias, 4 Robin Hood Ct., Columbia, SC 29205 and you will be paid up for 2020!
Why should you join the SFNA? Benefits of the SFNA...
You're receiving this email because of your interest in the Sherwood Forest Neighborhood Association.
If you no longer wish to receive email correspondence from SFNA, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please add email@example.com to your approved sender list in whatever email client or system you are using to make sure you are able to receive email communications from the Sherwood Forest Neighborhood Association!
SFNA Facebook Page | SFNA Facebook Group | SFNA Twitter
Sherwood Forest Neighborhood Association, Inc. Columbia, South Carolina
© Copyright 2020 Sherwood Forest Neighborhood Association. All rights reserved.